Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Fast Eaters Get Fat!" - Myth or Truth?

Recently this interesting writeup from KermitKhoo's blog caught my attention - where she mentioned about how eating slowly can help one to slim down. And there was even research conducted and journal publications to justify those results!

OMG!!!! I am definitely one of those guilty of eating really fast! I usually gobble down a cheeseburger in 4-5 mouthfuls!

Decided to trawl the Internet to confirm this finding. By and large, majority of research and healthy living articles confirms that Speedy Gonzales eaters are more prone to getting obese as compared to their counterpart slow munchers.

Here's a quote from ZenHabits:
A growing number of studies confirm that just by eating slower, you’ll consume fewer calories — in fact, enough to lose 20 pounds a year without doing anything different or eating anything different. The reason is that it takes about 20 minutes for our brains to register that we’re full. If we eat fast, we can continue eating past the point where we’re full. If we eat slowly, we have time to realize we’re full, and stop on time. Now, I would still recommend that you eat healthier foods, but if you’re looking to lose weight, eating slowly should be a part of your new lifestyle.
---------------------------------------------

Mr.Keropok's Thoughts:

Well... Hmm... I'm still quite skeptical about this because there are many factors that causes a person to become obese e.g. no exercise, eating lots of junk food, genetics...etc.

BUT... definitely as part of healthy living and to reduce some stress in my hectic lifestyle, it would be worthwhile to slow down my eating pace so that I can enjoy the food and company that I am eating with.

No comments:

Post a Comment